Forum

New slower training ride

Training rides info + discussion

New slower training ride

Postby Chris C » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:08 pm

I would like to test interest in a new slower training ride on Thursday nights. It’s intended for you if you:
• have thought about trying the Monday night training ride but worry that you are not fit enough
• have tried the Monday night training ride and been dropped
• want to get fitter but have never tried a group training ride, or
• enjoy the Monday night training ride and want more but don’t feel up to the speed of the Thursday night fast training ride.

Here’s what I propose.
• Same route as existing Monday night training ride (30.5 miles). Doing three circuits of quiet lanes around Swettenham gives anyone with tired legs the opportunity to opt out after one or two circuits and miss approximately 5 or 10 miles.
• Group to stay together, riding at the speed of the slowest rider. Nobody getting dropped unless they beg to be.
• Maximum average speed of 18 mph until we return to Siddington Crossroads, after which the speed drops (clue in the name Pexhill). If you are new to riding in a group and think you cannot ride at 18mph for 27 miles, you will be surprised at how much easier it is to do this with other riders taking the wind in front of you.
• No racing up Pexhill (I know it’s fun but the aim of this ride is to encourage slower riders and help them up the hill, not to prove what a beast you are).
• If you jump off the front, I will shout at you (promise).

New riders and lady riders particularly welcome.

Let’s try this for two weeks – 12 and 19 July, then decide if there is enough support to continue.

Interested? PM me or just turn up at Broken Cross car-park this Thursday 12 July. Ride to start at 7.05pm after the fast training ride (aka Masters of the Universe) has left.
Chris C

Re: New slower training ride

Postby dharbott » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:19 am

Go for it Chris. Glad to see someone (else) taking the initiative on easier rides, there's always a need.
I'll try to get out and give you some support (though I'm away from home on the 12th).
David Harbottle
dharbott

Postby Chris C » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:48 am

Seven riders last night, including two ladies. Thank you to everyone who supported this ride. We even caught a glimpse of a single blurry line of riders, believed to be the fast group stretched out behind one Steve Burke, seemingly in a bit of a hurry to get home for their tea.

We're doing this ride again next week. Bring lights as yesterday it started to get a bit dark for going home afterwards.
Chris C

Postby thetrotter » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:45 pm

Chris Cottom wrote:We even caught a glimpse of a single blurry line of riders, believed to be the fast group stretched out behind one Steve Burke, seemingly in a bit of a hurry to get home for their tea.

I now know more about Steve's back wheel that I ever dreamed, or wanted. Think that Steve had slowed down a bit by the time we went past you.
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby Chris C » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:23 am

Don’t forget – slow train departs from Broken Cross at 19.05 today, just after the Flying Englishman and his retinue, calling at Siddington Junction, Red Lion Square, Trap The Unwary Street, Forty League Boots Lane, Sweaty Road, Daffodil Dell Computer, Jolly Green Giantswood Lane, Black Swan Lake (deceased) and all stations to (Pex) Hell.

New riders, lady riders, and those new to training rides particularly welcome. No ticket required.

:happy7:
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:23 pm

Seven riders last night, two more than on fast training ride. Particularly encouraging to welcome two ladies new to training rides (one of whom was also new to riding in a group). Good steady ride with no-one missing their turn at the front until return up Pexhill. Average speed back to Siddington Crossroads 16.9 mph.

On the basis of 'let those that ride, decide' we will continue this ride until further notice.

Same time next week. Please spread the word.

:director:
Chris C

Postby eddiegcycle » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:04 pm

Hi Chris,
just got back from hols and saw your posts, sounds good, will hopefully see you this thursday, cheers.
eddiegcycle

Postby NickC » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:07 am

Hi Chris

This is an excellent idea. Of course I am not saying I'll ever come but...

I've enjoyed taking my sons on the slower rides on sunday with John. Now it feels like there is something else for them to aim for. It's great that the club offers something for all levels

cheers

nick
NickC

Postby Chris C » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:23 am

The scurrilous rumours apparently circulating in the ‘red tops’ and something called Twitter have forced me to issue the following statement:

Wiggo appearance on slow training ride ‘unlikely’, organiser says.

The famous Macclesfield Wheelers Cycling Club moved swiftly today to discount claims that Bradley Wiggins, last Sunday’s first ever British winner of the Tour de France, would join its slow training ride tonight. Ride organiser Chris Cottom said: “Mr Wiggins will be very welcome to join us, but my advice would be that he should be tapering down before Saturday’s Olympic Road Race. If he wants to ride with us tonight, we’ll be off at 19.05. If he gets there at 19.06, he’ll have to see if he can catch us up.”

I’m glad to have been able to set the record straight on this matter. Thank goodness we’re not the kind of club that would spread rumours like this just to publicise a training ride.
Chris C

Postby thetrotter » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:12 pm

Are you sure it is 30.5 miles? Have you had the distance independently verified? Need to know in order to work out whether this can fit within my training programme. 8)
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby Chris C » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:32 am

I can confirm, without fear of contraception, that the road thus travelled last night was, er, about 30.5 miles (subject to independent verification). Eight riders, including two ladies. This was one rider's first group training ride and another's first group ride. Average speed from Broken Cross car park back to Siddington crossroads: 18.1mph. All riders present and accounted for at the top of Pexhill. We count 'em out and we count 'em back in again.
:salut:

Same time next week. Be there or be square.
Chris C

Postby eddiegcycle » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:13 pm

Can I be there AND square at the same time? :-)
eddiegcycle

Postby Chris C » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:20 am

eddiegcycle wrote:Can I be there AND square at the same time? :-)

Yes
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:20 am

Inspired by Wiggo?

Thinking of Rio 2016?

Training starts tonight.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:49 pm

14 riders last night. Average speed back to Siddington crossroads - er, um actually I forgot to check, drunk as I was on the heady wine of training, but it was about 17.5mph.

Good to welcome two riders new to training rides and another new to riding in a group. Three lady riders last night; more very welcome please, this is an Equal Opportunities ride.

Bring lights next week: it's getting dark by the time we get back up Pexhill, particularly if:
• it’s been raining
• someone has a puncture
• someone's crank declares UDI and jumps into the verge by itself
• someone's crank declares UDI and jumps into the verge by itself again.

:wav:
Chris C

Next

Return to Training