Forum

Sunday Morning training ride

Training rides info + discussion

Sunday Morning training ride

Postby Monicaeden » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:13 pm

This week we are back on for the Sunday morning training ride. 9.15am from the Town hall. This week's route is 90km and we are heading out Knutsford/Great Budworth, pretty much flat. We will have a press on up the wizard on the way back...a gradient which is steeper than I'd favour so I'll bring up the rear no doubt! Hopefully have a good group out again, see you then. :-)
Monicaeden

Re: Sunday Morning training ride

Postby Monicaeden » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:51 pm

We are going to add some extra training rides in across the Christmas break (the words Festive 500 have been banded around in our household) and I also have dates for January onwards. We will slightly lose the every other week process due to some racing commitments but there will be 2 rides a month still. Dates below and to be on the calendar soon.

24th December
31st December
7th January
21st January
4th February
11th February
4th March
Monicaeden

Postby Monicaeden » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:19 pm

Good group out on this mornings training ride 12 in total, would have been 13 if Tom G had made it on time :lol: . We headed out via Radnor Bank, Smallwood around Sandbach & round the lanes through Middlewich & back up to Macc via Henbury.85km at 29km/h... I felt like I was swinging from the start perhaps thanks to Supacross or my dodgy wheel bearings but there were definitely some decent legs out there in the group. Thanks to Dave H's legs in particular for earning me a new QOM. We had a couple of punctures which resulted in a battle between youth and experience to get it fixed. Experience the victor on this occasion. My personal highlight was a wicked bunny hop from Eddie my personal low point was Steve attacking down into Prestbury just as my legs were leaving me. We are out again next week potentially Great Budworth Loop I think...
Monicaeden

Postby fpdave » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:53 am

Hi Monica

What bike is appropriate for these rides?
Is a heavyish winter machine going to make it hard work
Presumably everyone needs mudguards and there are no actual race bikes out?
fpdave

Postby Monicaeden » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:50 pm

I think everyone who has one is on winter bike with mudguards. There's no flashy wheels or kit so just usual winter gear is fine. It will feel hard work but that's the desired aim :)
Monicaeden

Postby Monicaeden » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:04 pm

Having spent the last 3 days weather watching, I stuck to plan and we set out this morning for the latest Winter training ride. I think we had 11 to start. We had to adapt the route and stick to main roads. I spent most of the ride thinking where we we going next as we were on the hoof and you get places far quicker on the main roads! Was an enjoyable ride despite some delightful vocal Cheshire residents. Effort up the Wizard, I went hard from the bottom buoyed on by having my good bike out (winter machine broken) but Louis finally took the honours followed by Phil & Tom G. We are next out in 2 weeks time, 21st Jan
Monicaeden

Sunday Morning training ride Cancelled

Postby Monicaeden » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:20 pm

I've ummed and ahhed over the weather long enough. Forecast is for snow tomorrow morning and 1degree. May be ok as it has predicted snow for the last couple of days with none appearing but it may also be really bad. I'm going to call it and cancel the ride tomorrow. I'm going to head out on the MTB instead. If anyone is interested in coming out give me a shout. Hate to be soft but safety first.
Monicaeden

Postby Monicaeden » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:42 am

We are due out for another Sunday training ride tomorrow. Weather looks dry but cold so will crack on as planner. Route will probably be using main roads to Knutsford, Holmes Chapel, Sandbach to keep off the lanes but will check in the morning. Target speed 29km/h. 3hrs long 85-90km distance. Press on up the last climb home. Hope to have a good group out again :-D
Monicaeden

Postby Monicaeden » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:42 pm

We had a more compact group of 8 riders out on the Winter training ride this morning. I'd planned a mentally challenging route that was never that far from home but stayed on the main roads with us out early. There was indeed a bit of ice out as I felt under my wheels as we cut round the back of Wilmslow. Decent pace and a good bunch out. I think Jamie had 28.5km/h average but that was with a few drags and lumps through Henbury and up to Sutton. My legs actually felt good for approximately the first time since 2010 so apologies if I was guilty of any half wheeling...I blame Ollys influence. We are out again next week same place and time.
Monicaeden

Postby Monicaeden » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:41 pm

Winter training ride tomorrow unsurprisingly cancelled still snow and ice around so I'm sure everyone would prefer to stick to turbos or something with knobbly tyres. We can't even get in our garage for snow at the moment! That was planned to be the last winter training ride. May run similar rides in a pop up ride format if people are up for that at all during the summer but aware people have racing and other commitments in the summer.
Monicaeden

Postby Monicaeden » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:06 pm

Tomorrow we will re-start the Sunday morning training ride. We will start from the Town Hall at 9.15am. We will aim for an average speed of 30km/h but are usually around 29 by the time we arrive back in Macclesfield around 12pm. We will ride through so everyone gives turns & the route will be out into flatter Cheshire lanes and will be around 85km long. We will have a press on up the last climb home. Since we are starting earlier this year if the weather is good then no need for mudguards for the first ride but Mudguards required from Mid October. Please bring spares, cape etc. There is no stop on this ride. Tomorrow we will head out on a loop through Sandbach.

Dates for the Winter are as follows for these rides:
30th September
14th October
28th October
11th November
25th November
9th December
16th December
23rd December
Monicaeden

Postby Monicaeden » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:46 am

Sunday training ride CANCELLED...Apologies I was due to work in the afternoon only originally but I have to be in earlier now so can't lead the ride. I had an ask around but quite a few people aren't around this week. If anyone wants to meet up and ride feel free but I can't be there to lead. We will be back on 28th October. Hopefully see you then.
Monicaeden

Postby Monicaeden » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:46 am

Sunday training ride CANCELLED...Apologies I was due to work in the afternoon only originally but I have to be in earlier now so can't lead the ride. I had an ask around but quite a few people aren't around this week. If anyone wants to meet up and ride feel free but I can't be there to lead. We will be back on 28th October. Hopefully see you then.
Monicaeden

Return to Training